Monday, June 05, 2006

How bogus does my social security card look??

Alright, so I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. Now that I have my actual official, original Social Security card in hand, I need to admit that it could not be recreated using photoshop. You'd actually need to dig up one of those old non-electric typewriters to get the right effect!!

Now, knowing my terribly anal retentive parents, they probably started filling out the paperwork for my social security number sometime early in the third trimester and were able to pick up my card on their way home from the hospital (or something like that.) They're so much more organized than I am. And they love pointing that out. It's one of the few things they enjoy doing together, I believe.

My card was actually issued by the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. (Kind of makes you think that the Cabinet had to have been a whole lot smaller then...) The card is actually "Form OA-702.1 Rev. (11-61)" Yes, as in 1961.

But this is my favorite part, verbatim, in all caps! TELL YOUR FAMILY TO NOTIFY THE NEAREST SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE IN THE EVENT OF YOUR DEATH. IT IS ADVISABLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH A SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE WHEN YOU REACH RETIREMENT AGE OR IF YOU BECOME SEVERELY DISABLED.

Oh, little naive ones, as if we wouldn't....

No comments: