Thursday, June 22, 2006

Bad Things Come in Threes

How superstitious am I? Well, I tend to believe the above adage, that bad things tend to happen in threes, it's just the way my life has worked thus far. I don't question it. I merely accept. Yeah, some scientist I am. Please don't let on to the others...

So now, ever since I lost my job and basically the same week, possibly the same day, even, some one stole ALL the electrical wiring from my new house. (Seriously, they came in an tore out all of the wiring in both floors, destroying the insulation where they needed to.) The whole incident has put my house closing back a whole month since they had to rewire the whole place, get it reinspected, and get the insulation people back in to redo the insulation, all before they could start putting up drywall which was supposed to happen last week.

One might wonder who would go through the trouble of stealing all the wiring from a home, considering how labor intensive it is to strip all the plastic insulation off of the copper before you can sell it. My friend, Joanna, suspects it was Crystal Meth addicts, since they have nothing but time and energy on their hands and aren't so much concerned with the efficiency of the money making project. My brother-in-law's joke is that it was obviously someone who was doing some remodeling of their own ~ they'll be back for the drywall later.

Great joke. My house was the only one that was hit. It was also the first house in a community of over 300 homes that got hit. Am I just lucky or what? There's where the three's come in.

I get fired without cause, and the closest thing I get to a reason is completely untrue. My house gets hit by one of the weirdest burglaries, ever? What's next? I'm just waiting for the next shoe to fall. Remember, FATE is a three footed monster.

My brother-in-law called this morning to let my sister know that they had announced major layoffs at his company, but that he was okay. I spent the whole day worrying that he had spoken too soon, that there was a converse high top waiting just above him. But he arrived home with his job in tact.

So what then? I'm afraid that if I think of anything bad it will happen ~ like the end of GhostBusters where they wind up fighting the StayPuft monster because one of the guys merely thought about it.

And, yes, I am perfectly aware of how irrational this all sounds. I know irrational when I see it. It isn't like there haven't been enough bad things to have covered three, four, five and six. Nothing has been easy. My mother said something on the phone the other day about things falling into place. I laughed at her. I asked her whose life she thought she was talking about? Nothing in my life falls into place!!

Or maybe that's just the plan, to leave me skittering around waiting for the next shoe to fall when in reality, there is no other shoe. I'm all in a thing for no reason! Wouldn't that just figure!!!

No comments: