Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Gaston Conquers

I thought my biggest problem was going to be getting my trash out. HOW wrong was I??

So, it seems Gaston decided to dump 14 inches of rain on us!! I had the most insane night!!

First, I got stuck in the elevator as I tried to leave my office. The power went out just after I got on and I wound up stuck between floors. Two sheriff deputies and the building manager had to rescue me ~ not a pleasant experience.

Then I embarked on the four and a half hour journey home. A good part of the city flooded and at one point I found myself trapped with washed out roads in all directions. Having a rental car in no reduced my temptation to attempt to cross the flooded roads, but I did know better than that!!! I decided to amuse myself by taking pictures of the flood waters...

By 9pm, I thought I was going to lose it ~ I had gone 4 city blocks in one hour... I got paged by a coworker for some information for the shelters we were opening ~ mandatory evacuations because of flooding. Turns out all the East/West roads were closed except for one and not the one I was stuck on...

I've finally gotten home which really didn't seem like it was ever going to happen....

Alright, I'm exhausted... going to bed....

No comments: