Monday, April 16, 2007

OH. MY. GOD.

My mom emailed me and told me to check the news.

After living in Virginia for more than 7 years, I am stunned, shocked and numbed by what is happening at Tech.

Nearly everyone I knew or worked with in Virginia had some connection to VT.

I have been to Blacksburg, Christianburg, Montgomery County many times. They are places where security has a completely different meaning from the inner city where I went to college. Security is about the strength of the fence surrounding your livestock. You worry about keeping animals in, not keeping animals out.

I learned some ugly truths about humanity while I was in college and I would never wish those things upon others. Today the students at Tech are learning an ugly truth that should never have been part of their life experience. Ever.

Fear should remain conceptual, not become a reality. Especially in a place where safe was the norm.

No comments: