Thursday, November 30, 2006

MY life

Do you ever get the feeling that you're not really living your own life?

I mean, sometimes it just seems like your whole existence is for the convenience of others.

Right now, my sole purpose appears to be to provide lodging and transportation to visiting grandparents and to act as back-up parent for my sister and brother-in-law. What I want is really inconsequential. SERIOUSLY, would I really vonlunteer to have my mother visit me for two weeks over Christmas??

So what do I want?

Apparently only things I can't have.

I met a guy. Someone actually worthwhile for a change. I don't know, the first time we actually looked into each others' eyes it was like, spark? And we had this great date. We talked and we laughed and he did that thing that no one ever does, he swept my hair out of my face. Thirty years my hair has been falling in my eyes and no one else has ever taken it upon themselves to move it.

So, obviously, he's leaving the state in two weeks. And he'll be gone for at least four months. Maybe never to return.

And I'm completely broken hearted about what will never be.

We agreed we wanted to continue seeing one another. Have we?

You'd think he'd be wanting to make time for that if it were important, right? So do I jump head first to the conclusion that I'm just not *that* important? It's never failed me in the past...

In fact, it's allowed me to go on believing that I've never been particularly important to anyone. I'm not saying this isn't true, I'm just saying it's what I believe.

So, today, on a particularly cold day in TX, when I'd really just like to sleep (it's one of my better options), I'm off to pick up dinner for the whole big happy family. Do I get to tell them that I'd really rather be alone?

At least then it's my life.

No comments: