Thursday, July 06, 2006

Marathon Job Interview from Hell

Kill. Me. Now.

I just spent more than three hours of my life that I will never get back.

Would you believe an hour and a half verbal interview of highly technical information on data analysis followed by a two hour (let's all be honest with what we're talking about) exam on epidemiology and sexually transmitted disease. So the interview could have gone better. "Relational database" just drew a blank. All I remembered was this really, really long morning of a training on an analysis software system where they felt the need to discuss relational databases in great detail. It was something I had already learned about in grad school under some other name, so I decided to ignore them, in great detail. (Statistical analysis is kind of like dinosaurs ~ every few years, some one gets bored and just changes the names of everything.) So for the life of me, I couldn't remember what it was that I knew about relational databases as. Whatever.

I aced the exam. Just really cramped up my hand from all the writing. They were obviously trying to weed out the folks with MPHs from the fly by night programs that have you take 3-6 credits of epidemiology and crown you an epidemiologist. They could have saved us all a lot of trouble simply by checking out my program ~ I have an MS from one of the oldest schools of public health in the country and took something like 30 credits of epi.

But, GOOD GOD! Reality check! The job they described sounds like dull as dirt mind numbing number crunching and the pay is not that great. So they're interviewing in search of some technical whiz who also has an excellent educational background in epidemiology. Good luck with that. A person with that skillset will be looking for more money and something interesting to do. Or at least that's what I'm doing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

" The job they described sounds like dull as dirt mind numbing number crunching and the pay is not that great. So they're interviewing in search of some technical whiz who also has an excellent educational background in epidemiology."

I know what you mean. I've seen many a job that you could place in this category. Employers must think we're stupid. Sadly, sometimes we're desperate enough to take it. I hope you find/found a better job. It's terrible you're left in such a lurch!